Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

 

Dobson Organ, Opus 83

2006

27 ranks, 1,441 pipes playable on 2 manuals and pedal

GREAT

pipes

16'

 

Bourdon

 

58

8'

 

Prestant

 

58

8'

 

Chimney Flute

 

58

4'

 

Octave

 

58

4'

 

Spire Flute

 

58

2'

 

Fifteenth

 

58

III

 

Cornet 2-2/3'

mounted, g20-d51

96

IV

 

Mixture 1-1/3'

 

232

8'

 

Trumpet

 

58

 

 

Swell to Great

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SWELL (expressive)

8'

 

Lieblich Gedackt

 

58

8'

 

Viola

 

58

8'

 

Viola Celeste

FF

53

4'

 

Principal

 

58

4'

 

Harmonic Flute

 

58

2'

 

Piccolo

 

58

III

 

Mixture 1'

 

174

8'

 

Oboe

 

58

 

 

Tremulant

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PEDAL

16'

 

Subbass

 

32

16'

 

Bourdon

from Great

8'

 

Prestant

 

32

8'

 

Gedackt

ext. Subbass

12

4'

 

Octave

ext. Prestant

12

16'

 

Trombone

 

32

8'

 

Trumpet

ext.Trombone

12

 

 

Great to Pedal

 

 

 

 

Swell to Pedal

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACCESSORIES

 

 

Zimbelstern

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mechanical key action (electric action for Pedal)

Electric stop action with 8 level combination action

Free standing solid hard maple case

    Lancaster’s Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd was officially so named on May 12, 1972 when two congregations, Advent Lutheran and St. Mark Lutheran merged. The Advent Lutheran congregation began in 1897 with a building on Clark Street, then in 1901 in a building on Orange Street. St. Mark Lutheran congregation began in 1902 with its first building on Freiburg Street (later known as Pershing Avenue) and then in another building in1931 at East End Avenue and South Ann Street. In 1969 the Advent congregation approved the land on the site at Greenfield Road and the building for the merged congregations was dedicated there in 1973. Originally the church installed a two-manual pipe organ built by W. Zimmer. That organ now serves a Lutheran congregation in Herndon, Virginia. The Good Shepherd building was enlarged in 1990 and from August 2005 to April 2006 the Sanctuary was completely renovated and a new two-manual pipe organ with mechanical key action (electric for pedal) and electric stop action built by Lynn Dobson of Lake City, Iowa was installed and first used in September 2006. Rev. Marilyn Witte was installed as Associate Pastor to serve as Cantor in 2001. We thank her for her hospitality and willingness to share the organ with us.

 

Opus 83 has an unusual three-dimensional fašade, being essentially a screen composed of hard maple bars with a natural finish.

The materials that hold the fašade pipes in place are painted dark blue and a shade of burgundy known as "Dobson red."

Some of the wood pipes are also painted. The horizontal components of the screen behind the  fašade pipes step put at the bottom to become toeboards,

The placement of the  fašade pipes themselves, when viewed from above, was conceived to resemble a piece of medieval chant manuscript (see below).

Back to Area Organs

Home Page