The small single-manual organ which is in the Chapel of the House was built in 1793 for the Moravian Church in Graceham, Maryland. In 1957 the Lititz congregation acquired the instrument and hired M. P. M÷ller to make repairs and install it. More recently James R. McFarland & Co. carried out a restoration project.
Gedackt [8’] 54 pipes—stopped wood
Gambe [8’] 37 pipes from tenor f, bottom 17 sound on Gedackt.
Floet [4’] 54 pipes 1-7 stopped wood; 8-54 open wood.
Principal [2’] 54 pipes open metal, 1-19 in fašade.
In the same building in the large Fellowship Hall is the larger 1787 organ with single-manual and pedal built by Tannenberg for the Lititz congregation’s Sanctuary. In 1879 it was moved to the Moravian Church in South Bethlehem and was then returned to Lititz in 1910 and was damaged by fire in 1957 with some parts being destroyed. James R. McFarland & Co. carried out a restoration and reconstruction project in 1983 locating the organ to its present location in the gallery of the Fellowship Hall. The approximate wind pressure is 1 5/8”. The stop spellings are taken from a letter that David Tannenberg wrote concerning this organ.
Manual (unenclosed) CC-e3
Principal Discant [8’] 34 pipes from tenor g; 14 pipes in the fašade.
Viol de Gambe [8’] 53 pipes; 1-5 stopped wood;6-53 open wood.
Flaut Amabile [8’] 53 pipes; 1-5 stopped wood;6-53 open wood.
Quint:Dehn [8’] 53 pipes; 1-5 stopped wood; 6-53 capped metal.
Principal [4’] 53 pipes; open metal; 15 pipes in the fašade.
Fl÷th [4’] 53 pipes; open wood
Octav [2’] 53 pipes; open metal
Pedal (unenclosed) CC-g
Sub Bass [16’] 20 pipes; stopped wood
Octav Bass 20 pipes; open wood
Tannenberg built this organ for his home congregation.. Originally he suggested a two-manual instrument but the church opted to pay less for a more modest instrument with a single-manual comprising 9 registers. The organ was dedicated on August 13, 1787. The console was detached and reversed as it is today and the wind was fed from the bellows which were in the attic.
Back to Area Organs